Adolescence can be a a difficult transition – even without using alcohol and drugs. When alcohol and/or drugs are involved, things can move very quickly from difficult to terrible or even deadly. Fortunately, Anuvia is here to help. From assessments through graduation, the program is designed specifically for the needs of teens and their families. Our program goals are: promoting abstinence, improving decision-making, building life skills, and strengthening families.
The Adolescent Center is located at 100 Billingsley Road, Charlotte, NC, 28211, and serves young people ages 12 to 17 and their families. For more information, referrals and appointments, call 704.376.7447, or Monday through Thursday, call 980. 321.5370.
Signs of Substance Abuse Among Teens
The best way to know what is going on with a young person is to build a strong relationship and have open communication.
The following warning signs can be related to substance abuse:
- Loss of interest in academics, family members or activities that require abstinence
- Personality changes that make a child more detached and less communicative
- Drastic changes weight, energy levels, coordination or sleep patterns
- Pursuing social networks that include kids who exhibit risky behaviors
- Deterioration of memory or cognitive skills
- Identification with drug culture through music, clothing or body modifications
- Sudden and frequent use of breath mints, eye drops and air fresheners
- The first step in seeking help is scheduling an assessment. Anuvia counselors are ready to help. Call (704) 376-7447.
100 Billingsley Road
Charlotte, NC 28211
Monday through Thursday,
8:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Monday through Thursdays,
10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Groups are gender specific.
- 90-minute group meets twice a week
- 8-12 weeks
- Psycho-education, individual therapy, group therapy, family therapy, drug specific education, life skills, decision making skills, goal planning
- Mondays and Wednesdays, 4:30 pm – 6:00 pm
The first step is a comprehensive clinical assessment, which is an individualized substance abuse evaluation indicating the level of care needed to sustain abstinence.
A one-on-one relationship with a counselor serves to facilitate engagement, assess progress, address crises, coordinate treatment with other community resources and reinforce continuing recovery.
Group therapy provides a safe environment for adolescents to discuss ongoing issues related to substance abuse, learn from each other’s experiences and work toward making more informed decisions.
Psycho-education covers a wide range of topics including anger management, co-occurring disorders, self esteem, goal setting, STI/STD’s, communication, relapse prevention and career exploration.
Family support and healing are critical for youths trying to improve their lives. Family therapy is scheduled around the family’s schedule. Weekly family education and multifamily group sessions address teen beliefs, adolescent development, drugs and family management issues such as boundaries, parental discipline and communication.
Snacks, meals and refreshments are included in program services at no charge to clients.
Help Lines For Youth Adolescent Crisis Intervention and Counseling
Calling these numbers is free. Remember, you don’t have to say who you are, and what you say is confidential.
- Alcohol/Drug Abuse Hotline 1-800-662-HELP (1-800-662-4957)
- Al-Anon / Alateen Hotline 1-800-344-2666
- Drug Help National Helpline 1-800-378-4435
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth Support Line 1-800-850-8078
- National Runaway Hotline 1-800-231-6946 / 1-800-621-TEEN (1-800-662-4000)
- Marijuana Anonymous 1-800-766-6779
- National Adolescent Suicide Hotline 1-800-621-4000
- National Association for Children of Alcoholics 1-800-554-2627
- National Youth Crisis Line 1-800-448-4663
- Self-injury Hotline – Self Abuse Finally Ends (SAFE) 1-800-DONT CUT (1-800-366-8288)
- Sexual Assault / Rape Hotline 1-800-656-HOPE (1-800-656-4673)
- Teen Help Line 1-800-400-0900
- Teen Line 1-800-522-8336
- Youth Crisis Hotline 1-800-448-4663 / 1-800-422-0009
- Nineline 1-800-999-9999