The roots of Anuvia date back to the late 1950’s.
The roots of Anuvia began in 1957 when the State of North Carolina asked ABC Boards to dedicate a percentage of profits to alcohol education and rehabilitation programs. At that time, a progressive group of citizens saw the need for and established an agency to promote public awareness about alcoholism. Supported by the Mecklenburg County ABC Board, the Charlotte Council on Alcoholism quickly became Charlotte’s principal resource for drug and alcohol prevention, advocacy, and referral.
A decade later, when community members determined treatment was needed for alcoholics and their families, the ABC Board established the Randolph Clinic. In 1971 the ABC Board completed a new facility to house both organizations at 100 Billingsley Road, a central place for substance abuse services and self-help group meetings.
In 1994, the Charlotte Council on Alcoholism and The Randolph Clinic merged to become the Chemical Dependency Center in order to create a more comprehensive, cost-effective, and user-friendly agency. At the 50th Anniversary, the organization was renamed Anuvia Prevention and Recovery Center to convey the quality and effectiveness of the full range of services offered.
A more thorough version of Anuvia’s history is available for those interested.
In 1971 the ABC Board completed building a new facility to house both The Randolph Clinic and the Charlotte Council on Alcoholism. This building, located at 100 Billingsley Road, became a central place for people to turn to for substance abuse education, assessments, and treatment. It also became a meeting place for many of the area’s 12 Step self-help groups. The Charlotte Council changed its name to the Charlotte Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency in 1986.